Sunday 23 August 2020

Two more projects!

The weather dictates that the Morgan stays in the garage underneath its dustsheet. 

When it comes to the weather I am the supreme English pessimist,  so although it is there with the side screens off and raring to go in the sunshine I am rather inclined to put them back on, put the roof up and prepare for Autumn!!

Anyway, as you all know I need projects to keep me sane during this ghastly period we are all living through....at least I am still living!

 The other day we visited my old chum for a 'chinwag', a meeting which now always take place relaxing with coffee on his lawn.  Anyway during the conversation he produced two vintage split cane fishing rods, both of which were in a poor state and he suggested that I might like them because he would never use them and anything bordering on DIY, restoration of any sort, decorating or gardening is not his cup of tea.

                        Terrible way to treat the original the original Picasso we have on the wall!!                                                                                                                                                                                            I did not refuse and my thoughts were already honed in on trying to restore them to near original 50's/60's condition.

It was quite ironic really,  in the sense that having given a small lightweight rod to one of my grandsons and shown him the rudiments of coarse fishing I find myself without a suitable rod having recently concentrated on fly fishing.

The sad fact being that in the 80's I sold for a pittance all my tackle including two fabulous split cane rods that command big prices now, manufactured by Hardy and  Allcocks. Ah well we all do silly things at times!

Anyway these two will be very suitable for the job and I love traditional objects...hence the Morgan I suppose.

Restoration has almost been completed on one of the rods while the other remains to be completed, when I have received the bits from a traditional rod manufacturer.



My other project which is on hold at present will be the building of balsa flying model of a Sopwith Camel....more news of that when building commences.

No comments:

Post a Comment