Friday 5 July 2019

A fishy business!!

For all of my readers with garden ponds this may be of interest.

While the Morgan is away, I thought that I would tidy my pond topping it up with water and removing duck weed and some of the sub-surface weed.

The fish are delighted, having a beano in their larger and brighter environment.
The pond with the rods arching over it.
However, the main purpose of this post is to bring readers attention to the method that I have used to keep herons at bay. The proof of my system's success is the fact that the pond has not been attacked by herons for a number of years.

Hole drilled at an angle to accept the rod.
Mine is an 8 x 4 pool so I bought some lengths of 1/4 inch diameter steel rod, eminently bendable, drilled holes at an angle in the York stone paving and fitted the rods as shown in the picture after first painting them with black 'Hammerite'.

I bought some black coloured mesh from the local aquarist shop and fixed it using 3 inch nails with both ends hacksawed off and then bent in a vice to a 'U' shaped configuration. Holes were then drilled once more into the paving at appropriate places to accommodate these and the netting is firmly anchored in the paving by the insertion of these bent nails.


Holes drilled and bent nail


Netting fixed
That is how it was done and frankly I don't think that it looks offensive to the eye and has been hugely successful

.

No comments:

Post a Comment