Tuesday 29 May 2018

It's been a long time.....

.....since I added another post to my blog, so here goes.

Just after Christmas I decided that at the age of 74 I would take up fly fishing again, after a break of some 50+ years. As I only had minimal remaining tackle I had to buy more and I devoted a lot of time to this.
Bank House Fishery

A brown trout which was returned

A decent Rainbow Trout which was returned
Some success was achieved at a local fishery and on the River Wyre close to my home. However, it is becoming clearer to me now that the physical requirements of fishing for wild trout are extremely demanding for me with my various health issues and I am beginning to think that it is a case of the heart making promises that the body can't keep!! We'll see, but the real test will come later this month when I take a fishing holiday on the River Till in Northumbria, one of Britain's finest sea trout rivers.

Perhaps I will just concentrate my efforts on trout fisheries which are less demanding.
View over Horning from our cottage balcony


The Cottage and our cruiser

Anyway, it hasn't been all fishing. During April my wife and I returned to my beloved Norfolk Broads with my oldest friend and his daughter, having rented a cottage in Horning, together with a very lovely little cruiser  that enabled us to have the best of a cruising holiday with the added benefit of comfortable bedrooms and a bit of luxury to return to in the evening.
Up the River Ant
However, the weather during the week we were there was the worst that we have ever experienced on the Broads, mist every day, rainy and cold.
The Bonsol Hotel
To make up for that, we returned once again, for 10 days, to our lovely hotel in Illetas, Majorca, a repeat of the holiday we enjoyed last year and no doubt we shall also be sampling its hospitality in 2019.
Yours truly on the balcony of our hotel.
Today, we were enjoying a drive in the Morgan to the upper reaches of the River Lune at Killington where I was reviewing the possibility of fishing there. Sadly I think that once again the physical demands will be too much. It is a very rocky section of the river which will necessitate some scrambling over the rocks to reach the water and frankly I feel that the old body will not cope!!
Towards Sedbergh and the Yorkshire Dales
The weather was fabulous today, as it has been for the most of May, ideal for Morgan motoring...long may it continue.
Looking north towards the Lake District

West towards Morecambe Bay and Fleetwood.
In a week we are jetting off to Beziers in the Llanguedoc area of France to visit my eldest sister and her husband who live in Sete, France's second fishing port and an extremely interesting place which should keep us occupied for four days.


On our return it will only be a short time before we are off to Northumbria.

No comments:

Post a Comment