Sunday 11 November 2012

They just don't get it!

You know, I totally agree with the views expressed by my chum Dennis in my previous post.

The other day I watched a video of an 'Auto Express' motoring journalist doing a comparative road test of  the new Porsche 911 and the new Morgan Plus 8.

At the outset I felt that it was a pointless exercise because the two cars cater for two entirely different sorts of animal.

If you want brute power with a very high level of comfort then you would choose the Porsche. Conversely, if you want brute power but in a traditional 1930's ish form then the Morgan is for you. The two are quite incomparable it seems to me. I watched the video anyway, just to drool over the Morgan but got increasingly agitated as the criticisms of the Mog started to be made.

Pointing out that the traditional Morgan is cramped with limited storage capacity, its sidescreens rattle and it leaks is manna from heaven to a Morgan enthusiast, for that is what Morgan driving is all about, even at £85000. The beautiful style, the quintessentially English looks and the fact that you are driving a car that mirrors designs of years ago, but without the inherent unreliability of those early cars, attracts me and other owners, giving pleasure to the thousands of people who watch as we drive by.

People don't look twice at a Porsche, Ferrari or Aston Martin, but by golly they look twice at me and that is nothing to do with my George Clooney good looks!

These motoring pundits just don't seem to get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment