Monday 15 October 2012

Over the hills and far away...

It was a gorgeous early Autumn day as my wife, our little grandson Oscar and me, fed the ducks in Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa in Warwickshire. This has been a regular ritual since my youngest daughter's children were born and became old enough to cob half a loaf at a passing Mallard!

The bag of bread being exhausted we sauntered back to the car where coats were shed and thrown on to the back seat, Oscar strapped into his seat and off we drove to my daughter's home for a welcome cuppa.

A brief stop in Hornby
It was the next day when I found to my horror that my beloved flat cap, vital for modern classic Morgan motoring, was missing. Clearly, it had fallen out of the car as I was ensuring that my grandson was strapped in and safe.

 Now I'm not one to get over excited, as my wife will confirm, but this was an extremely serious occasion, expletives poured from my mouth, the old pacemaker was on the blink and I was smitten by bouts of dizziness. Your hero was not a happy man.

After gathering my thoughts and suffering outrageous criticism from madam for being a wimp, I sat down and considered for a moment. This would mean another trip in the Morgan to Hawes in Yorkshire to replace my trusty and valuable titfer.....yippee!

Coffee stop near Ingleton
On our return home I studied the weather forecast and decided on the day for our drive. What a day it turned out to be!

Clear blue sky, the sun rising through the early mist, the Morgan's engine sounding wonderful and the view along that long bonnet to the road ahead, what more could a man or woman desire?

Travelling north we left the A6 and turned in an easterly direction on the little road that crosses the moors to the east of Lancaster through Quernmore to Caton where we joined the A683/A687 to Ingleton where we stopped for a welcome coffee in the shadow of Ingleborough Hill.

The Ribblehead Viaduct on the Settle to Carlisle Railway
It was then a fantastic drive across the moors on the B6255 to Hawes, stopping on the way to photograph the wonderful Ribblehead viaduct on the Settle to Carlisle railway line.

Market day is busy in any town, but the congestion in Hawes was exacerbated by a massive lorry carrying aggregates that had broken down in the High Street, with two completely wrecked wheels and tyres.



Market Day in Hawes,Yorkshire
The main purpose of our visit was not forgotten and we made our way to the Market Place and the shop of 'Whites of Wensleydale', my cap supplier!


It was with immense satisfaction that this friendly purveyor of country clothing of the highest quality was able to produce an excellent example of the very style of cap I desired and what is more in the large size that my cranium demanded. For let it be known that I have a very large head, that is however sadly lacking in the grey matter that it's size would normally indicate!
Homeward bound, the dark mass of Ingleborough in the distance

Delighted, and with a pair of fine corduroy trousers purchased as well as the cap, we stepped into the busy street where we waited for a couple of dear friends to join us from Finsthwaite in Cumbria. A couple of hours later after a simple pub lunch, (we couldn't afford anything more lavish after my exorbitant expenditure), we set off home by the same route into the late afternoon sunshine.

Sometimes it pays to lose your titfer!

An unusual customer!!



No comments:

Post a Comment