However, ever since we bought the Morgan, the extinguisher has been loose on the back shelf and it occurred to me that this could present a major hazard should something 'orrible happen. The prospect of the pilot or indeed the navigator getting bashed on the back of the head with a fire extinguisher at the same time as impacting with a windscreen did not appeal, so something had to be done.
|Straps shortened and slots cut|
Having cleared the back shelf of the first aid kit, warning triangle, high visibility vests, travel rug, side screen cover and, wait for it, toilet roll, I assessed where a good position for the said device might be and marked the plywood rear shelf before removing it.
|Tape threaded through base|
This was then carried to my work bench where two slits, 25mm wide to accommodate the width of the tape, were cut with a jigsaw. Always rather daunting when you're potentially harming one you love!
Back into the garage I went and temporarily refitted the shelf and then, carefully folding the carpet back and using a 'Stanley' knife, cut two slits in the carpet from behind, to line up with the slots in the plywood base.
|Preparing to receive extinguisher|
Having partially recovered, I cut the tape to size and glued the ends to the tape with 'Araldite Rapid' glue and put a staple in each for good measure.
With a pounding heart and fairly quivering with excitement I prepared to take the final steps that would lead to the successful resolution of the problem of my loose fire extinguisher!
|Finished job! Enabling a very quick release should it be necessary|